Several folks have emailed to ask, so here’s the recipe for this yummy soup. Shared with me by my long-time friend, Susan, at Pure Joy, it’s a favorite in our household!
Prairie Corn Chowder
4 skinless boneless breast halves
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 tsp. of chicken base OR 2 bouillon cubes
1 cup diced carrots
1 onion, diced
3 cups of frozen corn
½ cup uncooked rice
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
½ – 2 tsp. red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you like)
2 Tbs. dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups heavy cream (you HAVE to use heavy cream – do NOT skimp! ?)
- Cook and dice chicken breasts – drain and set aside.
- Add water to cream of chicken soup to make 8 cups of liquid.
- Bring to a boil and add bouillon.
- Add carrots, onion, corn, rice, potatoes, red pepper flakes, and parsley. Let simmer for ~ 30 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper to taste.
- Add heavy cream and chicken and heat ~ 15 minutes – do not boil. Enjoy!